Saturday, November 24, 2007

Google Earth Hybrid + HAR.com = Zillow.com?

I read about this in Wired magazine tonight and had to check it out. It will let you browse comparable home purchases and listings using an interface like Google Earth's hybrid browser - that shows the satellite image but also overlays the street names. I updated the information on my house and made a free account in about 2 minutes. To verify I was for real - the last step of the sign up process presents a list of 10 home owners. All of the couples are made up names (except for you and your spouse). We were in the list - my name was even spelled right. The size of my home was way wrong. I updated with the number of bedrooms and proper square feet and all. At some point it will go through and use the info I put in and compare it to the others of comparable size and calculate an updated value. The article in Wired says the "Zestimate" will update weekly.

Here's a screen capture above the Fox Run corner store - showing Gateway Baptist Church, some Fox Run, some Legends Run, and some Legends Ranch.



The site is at www.Zillow.com

No comments: